Clearing Up Confusion Over Benefits Update – October 25th, 2017
The original Eblast that you received regarding benefits was a generic one sent by OTIP to ensure that all OTs in Ontario were aware of the benefits’ term when in an LTO, as well a the manner in which an OT may have coverage for the summer months.
It also mentions by name the TCDSB and the premiums being paid 100% by the Board.This is important to any OT who was told that when they enrolled that there would be a cost to him/her.
Also, at this time TOTL has not ben given a list of OTs in LTO assignments, thus rather than miss anyone we sent out the message to ALL who signed up for E Blasts.
Hopefully, this clears up some of the confusion.
Notice to Occasional Teachers Currently Enrolled in the OECTA ELHT Benefits Plan – Sent October, 2017
Our records indicate that you are currently working in an eligible LTO assignment and are receiving health benefits through the OECTA ELHT Benefits Plan. That plan only provides benefits coverage for the duration of your LTO assignment. Upon termination of your current LTO assignment, you will be eligible to enroll in the OECTA Occasional Teachers’ Benefits Plan.
The OECTA Occasional Teachers’ Benefits Plan replaces the previous school board plan that was offered to daily occasional teachers. A plan guide is attached for your information. The monthly premium costs to join the plan are found on the first page of
the guide. Should you choose to join the plan, you will be required to provide banking information so that monthly premiums can be withdrawn directly from your account.
Please note the following regarding benefit costs:
- In accordance with the local collective agreement, if you worked at least 50 days for the Toronto Catholic District School Board last school year, you are entitled to receive these benefits at no cost (the school board pays the monthly premiums).
- In accordance with the local collective agreement, if you worked at least 50 days for the Niagara Catholic District School Board last school year, the school board will pay half of the monthly premium cost.
When your current LTO assignment ends and your benefits coverage terminates, you will receive an email from OTIP with instructions on how to enroll in the OECTA Occasional Teachers’ Benefits Plan. Upon completion of enrolment, your coverage will be activated. You will have 31 days to enroll. After 31 days, you will be required to provide evidence of insurability to participate in the plan.
Remember, the only benefits plan that provides benefits at all times during the school year and through the months of July and August is the OECTA Occasional Teachers Benefits Plan.
Should you have any questions regarding the enrolment process, please contact OTIP Benefits Services at 1-866-783-6847.
Should you have any questions regarding the plan design and eligibility, please contact Tom Doyle, OECTA’s Benefit Officer, at [email protected]
TCDSB Postings – Sent August 16th, 2016
The Toronto Catholic District School Board will soon be posting Long Term Assignments for all Occasional Teachers on The Long-Term Occasional List. You may apply for any of these positions for which you have the proper qualifications.
You may also, apply for any permanent positions that are advertised for TSU.
However, at this time, the pink listing remains in effect regarding teaching positions with TECT. So at this time, OECTA has directed all OTs not to apply for any permanent positions that may be advertised.
Benefit Forms – Sent August 4th, 2016
If you worked at least 50 days during the year 2015 – 2016, you are eligible for Benefits as per our CA 2014 – 2017.
These benefits are 100 % paid by the TCDSB.
However, you must return the enrollment form by August 18th in order to be covered.
If you did not receive a form and feel that you should have received one then you must contact the Benefits Department @ 416 222 8282 to clarify your concerns.
Please note that the TCDSB will re open August 8th.
Work To Rule – Sent May 18th, 2016
PLEASE NOTE: On April 13, 2016 the Toronto Occasional Teachers ratified their new collective agreement 2014-2017. All occasional teachers (including occasional teachers on long-term assignments) are bound by this collective agreement.
Therefore, OCCASIONAL TEACHERS are
able to participate in the TECT sanctions.
However, we as occasional teachers stand in solidarity with our fellow teachers an wish them success in achieving a fair and just collective agreement.
Important Information for Occasional Teachers during TECT’s Work to Rule
1. DO ONLY the teaching and duties associated with your assignment.
2. DO NOT volunteer nor accept any extra duties or change of assignment.
3. If you are on a Long Term Assignment, then you must complete the following report cards, comments, OSR cards, French cards and other related paperwork.
4. If you are on a Long Term Assignment then you may continue to collect monies, distribute newsletters and other administrative duties associated with your assignment.
5. If you are on a Long Term Assignment, you must, if asked by the administration, administer CAT/EQAO [if applicable] BUT only to your students.
6. Please Note…Extra-curricular activities, field trips, track and field events, graduations and the like will continue, as usual, for both TECT and TOTBU.
When in doubt call 416 636 5644, leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Send an email to [email protected] outlining your concerns.