Thursday, October 18th, 2018
Time: 4:30 pm. – 7:30 pm.
Presented By: John Pecseyne, OECTA
Topics to include :
• Central Terms
• Local Terms
•Surverys etc will be discussed
Followed by Questions & Answers
3710 Chesswood Dr
North York, ON
Dinner Will be Served
RSVP IS REQUIRED
Requested by October 12th, 2018
RSVP: [email protected]
Good Morning Colleagues,
During the course of negotiations, the Board has agreed to advise its Principals and the Toronto Occasional Teachers Bargaining Unit in writing twice yearly that Occasional Teachers are to receive an equitable distribution of supervisory duties and on-call assignments similar to other teachers.
Please ensure that the following occurs throughout the school year:
“An occasional teacher will be assigned only those instructional and supervisory duties of the teacher being replaced or such other equivalent duties which the Principal might otherwise assign.”
Adrian Della Mora
Superintendent of Education
Human Resources & Employee Relations
Toronto Catholic District School Board
416-222-8282 Ext. 2304
As you have worked at least 50 days for the Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) during the 2017-18 school year, you are eligible to enrol in the OECTA Occasional Teacher Benefits Plan, at no cost to you, from September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019. To learn more about the coverage details, please review the attached benefits guide.
How to enrol in your benefits plan
The TCDSB has provided OTIP with the basic information required to enrol you in the plan. This includes your name, address, and other relevant information required to set up your account. You will receive an enrolment email from OTIP on August 27. If you are a returning 2017-18 occasional teacher, your existing coverage will be reinstated upon completion of your enrolment.
Please be aware you must complete your enrolment within 31 days of receiving your enrolment email to ensure you have the coverage you require. If you do not complete your enrolment, you will be defaulted to single coverage and you will be unable to make changes to your coverage during the 2018-19 school year unless you experience a life event that affects your eligibility.
Information about your benefits
If you participated in the 2017-18 OECTA Occasional Teacher Benefits Plan, you would have recently received an email from OTIP regarding your options for life insurance conversion. Life insurance benefits are not included in this plan and as a result, no action is required on your part.
After completing your enrolment, a new benefits card will be mailed to you. If you were a member of the OECTA Occasional Teachers Benefit Plan for the 2017-18 school year, any unpaid claims incurred up to and including August 31 need to be submitted by completing the Extended Health Benefits Claim Form.
Should you gain benefits while working in an eligible LTO assignment, your benefits through the OECTA Occasional Teachers Benefit Plan can be suspended until your LTO assignment is complete. Your claims history and benefit maximums will follow you from plan to plan.
If you have any questions regarding the enrolment process, please contact OTIP Benefits Services at 1-866-783-6847 and enter your plan number: 205022.
For all questions regarding plan design and eligibility, please contact Tom Doyle, OECTA’s Benefit Officer, at [email protected].
Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan
A Day in the Life of An Occasional Teacher…
On June 8, 2018, TOTL met with the Board to discuss concerns and issues pertaining to Occasional Teachers and their working conditions.
TOTL brought forward many concerns and the Board agreed to address these concerns through a reminder e-mail to all administrators, in the hopes to assist in a successful occasional teaching day.
Below is a copy of the email that was sent to all administrators.
We recently had a Director’s Liaison with our Occasional Teacher Union group (TOTL) and we agreed to send a reminder to principals regarding OT’s and what would be considered possible best practices. You may wish to take action with the appropriate staff before the end of the year or early September. Please consider the following reminders related to our Occasional Teaching staff:
1) Ensure that you have provided to the Occasional Teacher actions required for lockdown, hold and secure and fire procedures. Key access to the room is ideal but not always possible so a plan is essential if keys are not provided. We are moving to picture key access in the near future and this may help with some aspects of these procedures.
2) A process in place for providing the Occasional Teacher with appropriate information related to medical conditions, behavioural or social/emotional concerns of students for their class(es).
3) Ensure lessons plans are provided and that emergency plans are also available if required.
4) Ensure that schedules are provided or posted – bus schedule, yard duty, timetables, etc.
5) Ensure that they have all the appropriate class list and seating plans.
6) Provide a list of bus students for the end of the day.
7) Proper prep time and duty allocations as per the teacher they are replacing.
8) Job assignment must match their profile i.e. do not put a person that does not have HPE on their profile into an HPE class
9) I am positive that we always greet and make our Occasional Teaching staff welcome members to your school community for the day.
Associate Director of Academic Affairs and Chief Operating Officer