It is with a heavy heart we announce the passing of Felix Salazar our President, Felix passed away June 26th while in palliative care.
Please keep Felix, Janet his wife of almost 56 years, their children Vince, Floyd, and Kathy in your prayers.
Felix, a lifetime member of Toronto Elementary Catholic Teachers became involved with the Toronto Occasional Teachers in 1998. He held the position of President since 2005. His smile will be missed by all, always on our minds and forever in our hearts.
Please stay tuned here and via EBlasts about a Celebration of Life for Felix in September.
The TOTL Executive
A Day in the Life of An Occasional Teacher…
On June 8, 2018, TOTL met with the Board to discuss concerns and issues pertaining to Occasional Teachers and their working conditions.
TOTL brought forward many concerns and the Board agreed to address these concerns through a reminder e-mail to all administrators, in the hopes to assist in a successful occasional teaching day.
Below is a copy of the email that was sent to all administrators.
We recently had a Director’s Liaison with our Occasional Teacher Union group (TOTL) and we agreed to send a reminder to principals regarding OT’s and what would be considered possible best practices. You may wish to take action with the appropriate staff before the end of the year or early September. Please consider the following reminders related to our Occasional Teaching staff:
1) Ensure that you have provided to the Occasional Teacher actions required for lockdown, hold and secure and fire procedures. Key access to the room is ideal but not always possible so a plan is essential if keys are not provided. We are moving to picture key access in the near future and this may help with some aspects of these procedures.
2) A process in place for providing the Occasional Teacher with appropriate information related to medical conditions, behavioural or social/emotional concerns of students for their class(es).
3) Ensure lessons plans are provided and that emergency plans are also available if required.
4) Ensure that schedules are provided or posted – bus schedule, yard duty, timetables, etc.
5) Ensure that they have all appropriate class list and seating plans.
6) Provide a list of bus students for the end of the day.
7) Proper prep time and duty allocations as per the teacher they are replacing.
8) Job assignment must match their profile i.e. do not put a person that does not have HPE on their profile into an HPE class
9) I am positive that we always greet and make our Occasional Teaching staff welcome members to your school community for the day.
Associate Director of Academic Affairs and Chief Operating Officer
NEW PROCESS FOR BENEFITS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY…
Occasional Teacher Benefits EXPLAINED…. As per Article 14.01a and 14.01b
1) DO I, as an Occasional Teacher, need to apply for benefit coverage?
An Occasional Teacher is eligible for benefits in the following school year effective September 1, of each year, such eligibility is based on 50 days occasional teaching in the previous school year. Even if the 50 days condition is met, an occasional teacher MUST apply for the benefits.
NEW PROCESS for ENROLLING IN BENEFITS
On June 6, 2018, TOTL received the following information confirming the process for enrolling in benefits if you are eligible for the benefit plan.
“By July 21, 2018, the Board will provide OTIP (Ontario Teachers Insurance Plan) with a list of all teachers who worked at least 50 days this school year and who are therefore eligible to receive benefits from the OECTA Occasional Benefits Plan, paid for by the TCDSB.
During the month of August, OTIP will send an email to each of the occasional teachers on the list provided by the Board inviting them to enroll. This communication will be sent to the board email accounts of all occasional teachers. It is your responsibility to watch out for the email and complete the necessary enrolment for benefit coverage. If you do not follow the enrollment instructions you may find yourself without coverage.
New Process for all other occasional teachers who are not eligible for the Benefit plan paid for by the TCDSB as per Article 14 but have an option to pay into a benefit plan…
All other occasional teachers will receive an email from OTIP regarding their OPTION to join the plan, subject to providing acceptable evidence of insurability and assuming full responsibility for the monthly premiums.
If you have any questions regarding benefits, please contact the following:
- a) Tom Doyle, OECTA at 416-925-2493 or email at [email protected]
- b) TOTL – JoAnne Maher at 647-284-5261 or email at [email protected]